Immigration Advice in Birmingham
Optimus Law is a dedicated and knowledgeable legal firm based in Birmingham, primarily specialising in the practice area of Immigration & Asylum. Our firm is also able to assist clients in other areas including Business, Corporate and Crime.
The company is highly experienced and efficient in regards to legal expertise and understanding. Robina Shah stands at the forefront of the firm, as an individual she has over 20 years of sector experience, ranging from straightforward visa applications to complex appeal matters.
Our global portfolio of previous work encompasses numerous nations beyond the UK, including Canada, Nigeria, the Middle East and even the United States of America.
We have a dedicated, experienced and zealous team of immigration lawyers in our offices, throughout the country. We never fail to utilise our collective talents when approaching the various legal situations put forward to us. If you were to instruct Optimus Law to deal with your legal matter, you can expect a high standard of professionalism in the form of care and integrity.
All of our staff have an excellent understanding of the cultural diversity in and around their communities.
Ms Robina Shah – Regional Manager of Optimus Law
Robina has successfully led immigration departments in three prominent law firms before setting up Optimus Law with a team of carefully selected Immigration Experts who in their own rights have unmatched skills and expertise.
The experienced caseworker is skilled in all areas of immigration, including Tier 1 and Tier 2 tasks, sponsorship licences and PBS work. Robina also possesses a wealth of experience in handling complex appeal work.
Shah’s former employer referred to her as “the exceptionally talented Robina Shah, who has over 20 years of experience in immigration law from visa applications, all the way up to appeal matters”.
High-profile and notable cases involving Robina include:
- R (MM Lebanon) v SSHD  – case regarding minimum income rules and whether their implementation was lawful. This was a case that Robina worked on, up until the High Court determination with Birmingham Law Practice.
- R (Ali and Bibi) v SSHD  – concerned pre-entry language tests for immigration applications from abroad (entry clearance). Robina began the case at the Immigration Advisory Service, upon the Immigration Advisory Service going into administration the case was transferred to JM Wilson Solicitors – Birmingham. She was instrumental in the case as she filed an application successfully and the set the trial date. Robina managed the project at IAS and then assisted JM Wilson to prepare the hearing bundles, as this was a case she was responsible for and had knowledge of.
Membership & Accreditations
- Legal Aid Agency Accreditation to Level 2 Senior Caseworker held continuously since 2004 until present
- Registered/Exempt at the highest level (OISC level 3) since 2002
- Legal Aid Agency Accredited Supervisor since 2005
Ms Anita Patel LLB (Hons)
Anita is a Senior caseworker in Optimus Law , undertaking work in Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law.
Anita has a decade of experience in her specialist fields and during this period, she has represented in a broad range of matters. Anita enjoys problem solving and the desire to achieve a positive solution where one can be delivered.
Cases she has undertaken over the years include entry clearance applications and appeals, complex nationality matters and applications for further leave to remain in the UK.
Anita worked for the charity Immigration Advisory Service, where she worked on cases that involved applications for further and indefinite leave to remain, as well as appeals to the Immigration Tribunal. She also worked for the Citizen’s Advice Bureau in Stoke, diligently working on Human Rights and Asylum applications.
High-profile and notable cases involving Anita include:
- Mandalia v SSHD  – on the point of evidential flexibility for Points Based System applications. Anita worked on this Supreme Court case during her time at Fountains Solicitors.
Membership & Accreditations
- Legal Aid Agency Accreditation to Level 2 Senior Caseworker held continuously since 2008 until present
- Registered/Exempt at the highest level (OISC level 3) since 2007
Ken Sawhney – Corporate and Business Services
Ken Sawhney is a chartered accountant in optimus Law, an individual with a vast portfolio of experience in preparing small and large Company accounts. Ken has always been interested in taxation and seeks to reduce his clients’ tax bills.
His specialisms are as follows:
- Accounting and taxation
- Payroll issues
- Financial planning and forecasting
- Business planning and setting up Companies
- Business Plan writing amongst others for Tier 1 entrepreneur applicants
- Liaising with clients (individuals or businesses) and providing financial information and advice;
- Reviewing the company’s systems and analysing risk;
- Performing tests to check financial information and systems;
- Advising clients on tax planning (within current legislation to enable them to minimise their tax liability) and tax issues associated with activities such as business acquisitions and mergers;
- Maintaining accounting records and preparing accounts and management information for small businesses (accountancy);
- advising clients on business transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions (corporate finance);
- counselling clients on areas of business improvement, or dealing with insolvency;
- detecting and preventing fraud (forensic accounting)